Well, month one of Ironman training is officially in the books. I can’t say I’m surprised by how things are initially progressing: my body is seemingly shocked by the sudden inclusion of two more sports, and I’m mentally struggling with the transition of one training sport to three. Here’s a snapshot of what my January training schedule looked like:
- Monday: OFF
- Tuesday: 1 hour swim
- Wednesday: 1 hour cycle
- Thursday: 45-60 minute run
- Friday: 1 hour swim
- Saturday: 1 hour run
- Sunday: 2-3 hour cycle
January and February are all about base-building: build strength and staach of the respective disciplines before increasing distance and starting block workouts. I also joined a gym near my office where I’ve been getting pool time in, as well as hitting the weights (which I love!). What’s more, we made one of the rooms in the basement a dedicated training room, which I am absurdly excited about (picture Gollum of Lord of the Rings: “mine, mine, mine!”).
- Getting into a training groove. I used to just lace up my shoes and head out for a run. Now it’s all, “do I have my swimsuit and goggles?” and “I need to pack my bike shoes and diaper shorts for the trainer.” Ironman training isn’t just about the time running, biking or swimming, I’m realizing the preparation simply for training is a job in and of itself.
- Timing. All cards on the table, I am HORRIBLE at following a training schedule. Tell me I have to go train on a specific day for an allotted amount of time and I’m one angry panda. Let me decide that I want to go for a run or a bike on my own and I’ll be gone for hours. I know I need to work on this, and it’s getting better, but I’m such a stubborn person that I’m struggling with this training schedule. If anyone has any tips on following a dedicated training routine, please, let me know.
Songs on the Playlist:
- Paramore – Ain’t it fun
- Avicii – Hey brother
- Fall Out Boy – The phoenix and Just one yesterday
- Pitbull/Kesha – Timber
- Panic! At the Disco – Girls/Girls/Boys
Books Read on the Trainer:
- Orange is the New Black
- Hunger Games – Catching Fire and Mockingjay
- 11/22/63 (Stephen King) – just started
Outside of training:
February should be an interesting month juggling training and my work schedule: I’m headed to Phoenix, Vail and Scottsdale this month, a total of about a week and a half of not being home. We’ll see what happens!
Now I’m off to put a couple of hours in on the bike trainer before creating an amazing spread of food and drinks for the Superbowl! Happy Sunday everyone, and GO BRONCOS!